We are now a couple of weeks into the new year and lots of us will have started trying to trim back the excess Xmas pounds and perhaps cutting back on alcohol and on a healthy eating regime.
It’s now time to ramp it up and get moving, the NHS advises 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week for a healthy lifestyle.
This can include everyday activities such as walking, gardening or housework. Get moving and keep a record it all adds up. Below is an example of roughly how many calorie’s you can burn doing various activities (Source: MyFitnessPal):
- 60 minutes of circuit training = 570 calories
- 30 minutes of running a 11.5 minute mile = 320 calories
- 60 minutes of Pilates = 178 calories
- 30 minutes of Gardening = 142 calories
- 30 minutes of walking at 3mph dog walking pace = 118 calories
- 60 minutes of Dancing = 320 calories
- 30 minutes of light cleaning = 89 calories
Joining a gym gives great access to equipment and exercise classes, and remember you can also easily top it up at home. The challenge is to keep motivated here are a few tips on how to keep going:
- Put exercise or activity in your diary in manageable chunks like 5 x 30 minutes throughout the week or 2 x 60 minutes and 1 x 30 minutes (come on that is only 3 times a week)!
- Play some great music, ramp up the volume and get outdoors for a walk or a run, dance round the sitting room, or even do the cleaning.
- Set small realistic goals, and when you achieve them celebrate! Reward yourself with a non food reward, such as a new outfit, haircut or that new pair of trainers you have had your eye on. You could even challenge yourself to run a 5k in 2017!
If you don’t fancy doing the housework, though this chap looks like he is having too much fun vacuuming! Take advantage of the membership deals at Valley Leisure centres with discounted membership offers from now until 31st March 2017! Check it out.