Top Tip 1: 5 reasons to eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg a day
1. Fruit and vegetables are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and include healthy nutrients such as float, vitamin C and potassium.
2. They are an excellent source of dietary fibre, which can help to maintain a healthy gut and prevent a range of digestion problems, including constipation.
3. A diet high in fibre can reduce your risk of bowel cancer.
4. They can help to reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and some other cancers.
5. Fruit and vegetables contribute to a healthy, balanced diet.
Top Tip 2: Exercise doesn’t have to be high impact – go swimming
If getting hot and sweaty puts you off the gym, then why not try a low impact alternative like swimming?
Swimming is a great workout for getting in cardio and toning your body. It is one of the few sports that doesn’t cause any stress to the skeletal system, yet water resistance has a similar effect to using a lightweight on a resistance machine at the gym.
Not only that, but research suggests that swimming actually boosts endorphins in the body, which creates that feel-good feeling.
Health and vitality goals from the Valley Leisure Team