Nothing says ‘Great British Summer’ quite like watching tennis and drinking Pimms, and with Wimbledon in full swing, we thought we would grace you with some weird and wonderful tennis facts.
1. Apparently, over 24 tons of strawberries are ordered each year for the Wimbledon championships.
2. The longest match recorded in history took place at Wimbledon in 2010 between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut. It lasted for over 11 hours and three full days!
3. You can burn between 400-600 calories an hour: singles tennis is known to burn more calories than other types of physical activity including leisurely cycling, weightlifting and even dancing. Pass us the racket already!
4. Tennis balls were originally white. The balls changed to the neon yellow colour we all resemble with tennis in 1986. Apparently, the ball was too hard to view on television.
5. Andy Murray’s dog, Maggie May is Twitter famous. Okay, so this isn’t strictly tennis, but Maggie May is probably the most famous tennis dog with over 30,000 Twitter followers. Not only that, but Maggie has just released her first book “How to look after your human”. Who knew you could be so jealous of a dog right?!
6. Tim Henman was the first person to ever be disqualified from Wimbledon. In 1995 he lost his temper and smashed a ball straight into the ball girls face. Ouch!