Shorter days, longer nights, that slight nip in the air…yep…it’s officially Autumn. With summer just a distant memory, many of us find ourselves wrapped up in a slanket (greatest invention since sliced bread), with a giant mug full of tea and a packet of choccy bickies. And although tasty, there are other autumnal treats and flavours that you can have that are just that little bit healthier.
Spiced Apple Crisps
Like regular crisps but healthy, these spiced apple crisps are quick and super easy to make and they cost a fraction of the price of a small bag of dried fruit. All that’s needed for this recipe is two Granny Smith apples and cinnamon.
- Heat the oven to 160°/ gas mark 3. Core the apple first and slice it into very thin slices (around 1 – 2mm thick.) Dust with cinnamon and lay flat on a baking sheet lined with grease proof paper.
- Cook for 45 mins – 1 hour, turning halfway through and removing any crisps that have turned brown. Continue cooking until the apples have dried out and are a light golden.
- Cool and enjoy!
Only 90 calories and 1 of your 5 a day. What are you waiting for? Get slicing!
Cinnamon Granola Bars
Okay, so that last recipe was pretty easy…maybe too easy, so if you fancy a bit more of a challenge, try our next recipe.
- 60g butter, softened
- 230g packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 460g porridge oats
- 230g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 115g of raisins
- Line an 11 inch x 7 inch baking dish with grease proof paper and rub with a little softened butter to prevent sticking. Pre-heat the oven at 180° / gas mark 3.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until crumbly. Add the egg and beat well, then stir in flaxseed and honey.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, cinnamon and baking soda; stir into creamed mixture until blended. Gently stir in the raisins.
- Press into an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 180° for 14-18 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Lightly score and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut up into bars and enjoy!